Main Site    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ   Chat 

Board index » Archive » Scattered Leaves

Post subject: Otherkin - Fantasy becoming Reality
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:08 pm 
Magicka Guardian, Life Member & Ezine

First off let me get one thing clear – this is a discussion NOT on mythological characters or astral entities but on real human beings who are part of a subculture or believe that they are a certain figure. Please may I also humbly request that you leave out any opinions that such people are living in fantasy or are deluded - such a thing can be debated into eternity and only disrupts the information seeking process which I'm after.

I’ve been doing much research on specific types of Otherkin out of pure interest rather than involvement or belief (other than with the Witches obviously) . But only recently I have decided to look at the bigger picture. Perhaps you could help me out to get a clearer picture and also see if I have my facts straight. So far these are the types of Other kin which I have found…..

Types of Otherkin (a.k.a Otakin, Mediakin, Soulbonders, Otakukin, Bonders):
First there are four branches of Otherkin - Terrestrial , Non-Terrestrial, Elemental, Other.

Terrestrial Otherkin:
These are humans who believe that they have an animal spirit or have an animal spirit trapped in a human body. These include:
• Weres, Werekin. therians or therianthropes – Very much into animal totems. Believe that they have a deep spiritual connection with a particular animal (not always a wolf). Some believe that they were that animal in a past life others do not. Some people believe that they can shape shift on a psychic/astral level others feel that they cannot.

Non-Terrestrial Otherkin:
These are humans who have an affinity for animals or creatures that are traditionally based in mythology. These include:
• Dragons or Dragon kin – Believe they were dragons in past lives or possess the spirit of a dragon
• You may also encounter non-terrestial otherkin who have an affinity with – gryphons, unicorns, pegasi, phoenixes, hippocampi, rocs, kirin etc.

Elemental Otherkin:
These are humans who have an affinity with figures that are traditionally based in mythology. These include:
• Elves – Some people believe that they have a spirit of the elf, are an elf in a human body or were an elf in the past life.
• Fairies or Fay people - Some people believe that they have a spirit of a fairy, are a fairy in a human body or were a fairy in the past life.
• You may also encounter elemental otherkin who have an affinity with – sylphs, sprites, undines, salamanders, gnomes, leprechauns, dryads, pixies, mermaids, selkies, tree people, brownies, nymphs, will o’ wisps etc.

Other Otherkin:
• Vampires – Several different subtypes including vampyres, Snagunarian vampires (feed on blood), Psi Vampires (Feed on psi energy). There is currently a thread open to this http://magickaschool.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3996
• Starseeds or starpeople – Feel that they have originated from another world ether in this life or in a past life.
• Walk-ins - Walk-ins are people from other dimensions who have walked in to the body of a person here on earth.
• Lightworkers - Lightworkers are people who have chosen to seek spiritual knowledge and have made the choice to do their part to assist Earth and Mankind in their ascension. Reminds me very much like a bodhicitta in Buddhism.
• Angelics or Angel kin – Believe that they are angels born into a human body
• Demons or Demon kin – Some people believe that are demons, they have a spirit of a demon, are an demon in a human body or were a demon in the past life.
• Witches – yep that’s us folks. Some classify Witches as part of the Otherkin list.

Is this right?

There’s probably others, do you know of others?

It seems there is a wealth of websites for real vampires but very little for the other otherkin. Any references would be interesting.

Many Thanks.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sat Jun 23, 2007 7:53 pm 
Magickal Guardian and Life Member
Magickal Guardian and Life Member

This is a very interesting topic!

I'm sorry I don't have any links for you but I found an article I kept from a Cosmopolitan magazine when I was younger (I know it's not the usual kind of magazine to have this stuff in it). The article was about women who believed that they are a fairy.

It says in it that there is an organisation called The Fairy Ring for fairy devotees. People who join this organisation either believe they are a fairy or they are devoted to them. They hold a midsummer fair party every July. They replace there human name with that of a fairy's name, e.g. Starfire, Rainbow or Ocean, etc... There is also an International Fairy Believers Association.

One woman said that she realised she was a fairy when she wore a pair of wings to a fancy dress party. She said that something clicked and it felt so right - as if she was whole. She said that she felt a strong bond with the wings and she didn't want to take them off. Now she wears them every day, except in the shower and in bed.

Other women said that they were fairies in another life and that they are now here on this planet to work out problems and cure the planet. They call themselves "Bridges" because they help to bridge the gap between earthlings and the higher fairy realm. They especially believe they are helping men to develop female nurturing feelings and bring world peace.

Hope this helps a little!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Sun Jun 24, 2007 6:05 am 
Magicka Life Member
Magicka Life Member

MM Crystal
I know Doreen Vurtue has discussed Starseeds or starpeople, Walk-ins, Lightworkers, Angelics or Angel kin (or incarnate angels) in some of her books especially Earth Angels 2002. I think she discusses and describes the differet types of earth angels (as she calls these people) rather than giving any indepth research into them.
BB Indigo

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Jun 28, 2007 7:24 am 

A recent, good reference which I haven't had the honour of reading yet, but know the quality of the writer's work is:

A Fieldguide to Otherkin
by Lupa.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Jun 29, 2007 6:00 am 
Moderator and Magicka Life Member
Moderator and Magicka Life Member

In 'Druid Priestess' by Emma Restall Orr, the author is very autobiographical, and she describes her practice of 'shape-shifting' in some detail and relates it to her other magickal practices. Since it isn't the primary thesis of this book, this aspect is sometimes overlooked. The practice is highly central to the belief's of this author and I hope it provides you another source to this type of practice.

Blessed Be

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Tue Jul 10, 2007 2:14 am 

i have many within and am considered otherkin i have a dragon, Nightbreed which is little known and Demon and if i go by my spiritual family then i have many more who have yet to make themselves known

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Fri Apr 25, 2008 1:22 pm 
Magicka's Mistress of Mayhem!!!
Magicka's Mistress of Mayhem!!!

:bump:

To think is nothing at all, but........................to imagine is EVERYTHING!!

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 11:56 pm 
Baby Dragon

Hi
I wanted to thank you for even thinking of such a topic. I am other kin. I am not a vampire in this life, but i was in another. I do however travel to different realms. Two of the main realms are those of deceased (elder) vampires and the Underworld. I have guides from both realms and travel there constantly.
I know very little people, except my best friend who even find this part of themselves and it did take a long time to find out. My best friend is fae.
It would be interesting to hear from other who travel like me. I don't usually recommend it to people who have no experiance. There are so many realms in the after life (this is opinion) as there are stars. I dont even know if i answered your questions.

Post subject: incarnated entities
 Post Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:29 am 
Magicka Life Member
Magicka Life Member

One reads so much, with various "truths" all of which conflict, and end up not knowing what is "right" "wrong" "made up" "channelled" or what. However, it is all fascinating stuff.

I read Doreen Virtue's "Earth Angels" and it felt like the world jumped up and down, and some understanding fell into place. I completely and utterly resonated with the "Incarnated Angel" chapter, and thought, "that explains everything" (about the way I am). It really helped.

Of course, the next book I read (cannot remember who by) stated firmly that angelic beings NEVER incarnate as humans......

I have two friends who completely and absolutely fit the descritption of Star People. One even is sure he comes from Sirius. The other does not know of the concept of Star People, she just seems to me to fit the bill.

I went to a Green Party evening (of juggling, song and dance) This is on of the UK's political parties, and I went with a friend for the entertainment (I am a "green" person, but not political). The room was filled with people who looked like incarnated elves, pixies, and fay. The children looked as if they had not bothered to incarnate - just arrived as pixies ... This is where it really came home to me.

But then.....is it true? Or archetypal patterns of humanness being described?

Stillness at the centre of the storm
Calm waters under a turbulent sea
Deep love in a whirlwind of emotions
Sun, Moon and Stars light my way
Blessed Be XXX

Post subject: Re: incarnated entities
 Post Posted: Thu May 01, 2008 9:40 am 

Quote:

I see no reason why it can't be both for different people, depending on whether they're bringing forth an individual archetype of otherkin or feyness in order to experience it; or if they actually are otherkin.

I mean, for me personally I don't see why for some it wouldn't be archetypal in origin, and for others it actually has genuine otherworldly origins, you know?

For that book to be really restrictive and say angelic beings absolutely 'can't' reincarnate seems a bit unrealistic. Angelic beings have been found in countless cultures, they have different forms, ways of being, and some could be reincarnated. So... I wonder if this person had some kind of cultural bias, or alternatively, if they were just trying to scare potential teenagers away from saying 'I'm Angelkin!' Heh. It does happen.

I tend to think of Doreen Virtue as being waaaay too fluffy for my own tastes when it comes to angels / dragons / dolphins / oracle decks etc. but the one thing that she does have to her favour is that she's open-minded and constantly trying to promote a sense of growth and self-esteem. She may do that through catering to a person's sense of specialness, but I still think that may be better than the books that just shoot people down.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Wed Nov 19, 2008 12:41 am 
Magicka Guardian

Location: On Magicka's roof, scouting out her next tile victim
Quote:

It can be both for the same person too, to add on to what Ravenari said. It is for me at least.

Board index » Archive » Scattered Leaves