First off let me get one thing clear – this is a discussion NOT on mythological characters or astral entities but on real human beings who are part of a subculture or believe that they are a certain figure
. Please may I also humbly request that you leave out any opinions that such people are living in fantasy or are deluded - such a thing can be debated into eternity and only disrupts the information seeking process which I'm after.
I’ve been doing much research on specific types of Otherkin out of pure interest rather than involvement or belief (other than with the Witches obviously) . But only recently I have decided to look at the bigger picture. Perhaps you could help me out to get a clearer picture and also see if I have my facts straight. So far these are the types of Other kin which I have found…..
Types of Otherkin
(a.k.a Otakin, Mediakin, Soulbonders, Otakukin, Bonders):
First there are four branches of Otherkin - Terrestrial , Non-Terrestrial, Elemental, Other.
These are humans who believe that they have an animal spirit or have an animal spirit trapped in a human body. These include:
• Weres, Werekin. therians or therianthropes – Very much into animal totems. Believe that they have a deep spiritual connection with a particular animal (not always a wolf). Some believe that they were that animal in a past life others do not. Some people believe that they can shape shift on a psychic/astral level others feel that they cannot.
These are humans who have an affinity for animals or creatures that are traditionally based in mythology. These include:
• Dragons or Dragon kin – Believe they were dragons in past lives or possess the spirit of a dragon
• You may also encounter non-terrestial otherkin who have an affinity with – gryphons, unicorns, pegasi, phoenixes, hippocampi, rocs, kirin etc.
These are humans who have an affinity with figures that are traditionally based in mythology. These include:
• Elves – Some people believe that they have a spirit of the elf, are an elf in a human body or were an elf in the past life.
• Fairies or Fay people - Some people believe that they have a spirit of a fairy, are a fairy in a human body or were a fairy in the past life.
• You may also encounter elemental otherkin who have an affinity with – sylphs, sprites, undines, salamanders, gnomes, leprechauns, dryads, pixies, mermaids, selkies, tree people, brownies, nymphs, will o’ wisps etc.
• Vampires – Several different subtypes including vampyres, Snagunarian vampires (feed on blood), Psi Vampires (Feed on psi energy). There is currently a thread open to this http://magickaschool.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3996
• Starseeds or starpeople – Feel that they have originated from another world ether in this life or in a past life.
• Walk-ins - Walk-ins are people from other dimensions who have walked in to the body of a person here on earth.
• Lightworkers - Lightworkers are people who have chosen to seek spiritual knowledge and have made the choice to do their part to assist Earth and Mankind in their ascension. Reminds me very much like a bodhicitta in Buddhism.
• Angelics or Angel kin – Believe that they are angels born into a human body
• Demons or Demon kin – Some people believe that are demons, they have a spirit of a demon, are an demon in a human body or were a demon in the past life.
• Witches – yep that’s us folks. Some classify Witches as part of the Otherkin list.
Is this right?
There’s probably others, do you know of others?
It seems there is a wealth of websites for real vampires but very little for the other otherkin. Any references would be interesting.