Main Site    Register    Login    Forum    Search    FAQ   Chat 

Board index » Other Pathways » Alternative Paths

Post subject: Germanic Spirituality
 Post Posted: Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:35 am 
Magicka Guardian

Location: On Magicka's roof, scouting out her next tile victim
http://www.angelfire.com/nm/seidhman/spirituality.pdf

A PDF file by Bil Linzie on his research and interpretations of the reconstructionist efforts.

While he may offend some New-agers and Wiccans with his criticisms, he does have good points to say about their influences in the Germanic recon efforts. I especially liked his opinion on Neo-shamanism mixed with Heathenry.

Aside from the slight ranting, I found a lot of workable information in the text and tables that gives on a feel for Germanic culture/religion in the past, and what it may mean now. Certainly useful for those interested in this sort of stuff.

And hey, it's free :D That's the best part, lol.

Post subject:
 Post Posted: Thu Mar 04, 2010 12:52 pm 
Forum Admin, Mod, Life Member & Torey's Little Helper
Forum Admin, Mod, Life Member & Torey's Little Helper

Saved for future reference! :D Can't pass up 'free' with a good review!

I'm happy to help with any questions!

Post subject: Re: Germanic Spirituality
 Post Posted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 1:28 am 
Air Dragon

I don't know how far back you want to. But I found the use of Germanic tradition under the Nazis fascinating. For instance they changed the marriage ceremonies to be paganish - symbolism like salt and other stuff that was very earthy and agricultural.

Then you have the lightning bolt on the SS men which was like the glyph for the zodiac sign of Aquarius. This has led many authors to conclude that the Nazi regime had a very "Uranian" energy. That is, it had the qualities of Uranus - shocking, inventive and collective.

I met a Norwegian woman in the 1990's who had spent her childhood under Nazi occupation. She told me that the SS men on their belts had words in German that meant "God is Great". Thus I would disagree with many historians who draw a schsim between the cult of Hitler and religion. The Nazis were complex and didn't throw religion out the window by any means.

Post Posted: Sat Jul 07, 2012 11:33 pm 
Magicka Guardian

Location: On Magicka's roof, scouting out her next tile victim
No, what they did is taint and twist folkloric religion instead, just like they did with the swastika. It'll take a long time to clean the Nazi associations out of Germanic and Slavic religions. For all their talk of culture, they did little to follow their actual pre-Christian ancestors' ways.

Post Posted: Sun Jul 08, 2012 8:56 pm 
Baby Dragon

WhiteFox wrote:
No, what they did is taint and twist folkloric religion instead, just like they did with the swastika. It'll take a long time to clean the Nazi associations out of Germanic and Slavic religions. For all their talk of culture, they did little to follow their actual pre-Christian ancestors' ways.

Hear hear. I'm afraid Nazis would have been dragged through the streets long before the Third Reich managed to get off the ground and pose a threat to the rest of Europe, had they been around in elder Heathen times. Also, the anti-semitism in Nazism was ultimately derived from medieval Christian superstitions re "Christ killers" etc, so the holocaust is unlikely to have happened either.

Board index » Other Pathways » Alternative Paths